2012-01-05

Piper Comanche for v10 - a quick view

I first bought this aircraft during its version 8 incarnation. Possibly the first payware aircraft I bought. For reasons I didn't get it for version 9, but not it's here for version 10, so I wanted to try it out again.
One reason I liked and like it is that it's rather uncomplicated. Default X-Plane systems, uncluttered, legible and easy to operate panel while being 3D which is important for me with three screens.
Also, the panel has a GPS I understand how to use and autopilot is full default X-Plane functionality. In addition to this the aircraft as a whole looks rather nice and is easy to fly and land (no strange gear/ground interaction like some aircraft seems to have gotten in v10).

Of course, it's still basically an updated and updated aircraft from years ago, which doesn't have to be a bad thing. Just think "frame rate friendly" for example. But you should be aware of it and this time it's perhaps not a perfect update, as I'll show.

I got what I wanted. One reason I did is that I only want to use one livery per aircraft. If many liveries are important to you, you should read on before deciding if it's right for you.

One thing I think is really, really well done is the rotating beacon. Not easy to show in still images, but it very much looks like does rotate. I don't know if it's done as an animation or what, but this is how it should be done.

There aren't just additional liveries included, there's a separate version with tip tanks. Two items with it are easily noticable: The small text "Piper" on the left side is mirror reversed and the nose gear door doesn't close.

I haven't actually tested, but from the included livery files it seems like the text is fixable and the other version's nose gear door does close. This doesn't seem like professional grade updating to a new version.

The landing lights are a bit of a visual issue. Free floating balls in front of the structure. Just moving them inside the landing light housing will probably cause other problems, but if you look from the side they do seem a bit too far in front of the wing. (And they're in the wrong position for some liveries but that I don't mind so much.) Additionally, they do illuminate the inside of the structure as well.


In fact, all additional liveries have some text mirror reversed, usually just small text. This one's larger and more noticable and it is also interesting because it doesn't have the 3D object Comanche logos, but in the lit textures it's there but transparent. This doesn't seem like professional grade updating either.

But we should note three things: Heinz is not known for not caring that text on aircraft is misspelled (I can but won't name another payware maker who doesn't care), Heinz usually updates aircraft as needed and X-Plane 10 so far is  still in beta so one has no right to expect everything to work right already.

(What a beta release is is important to understand, which clearly not everyone does.)

No comments:

Post a Comment