2011-05-05

Lookheed U-2S - a quick view

This is a good looking aircraft which is fun to fly. It's also not as difficult to fly as I imagine the real U-2 to be, but as the makers note, X-Plane doesn't quite replicate ultra high altitude flying conditions, so that's alright with me.

I've flown motor gliders. At lower altitudes, this feels just like one of them, only larger and with much more powerful engine.

Executive summary: Yes, I can recommend this aircraft.

The cockpit is said to have "Realistic multifunction displays as true to the actual aircraft as X-Plane can go" to which you have to add "given the available information". For example, I've seen cockpit photos with both round and square standby attitude indicators which means you have to guess and make a pick. 
However, it looks like the PFD have speed and altitude tapes as an overlay over a wider attitude indicator and with much more prominent vertical speed and speed trend indicators. And you know what? I think this can be done.
A real moving map, with tan land and blue water, is probably not doable yet, but I'd still make it look more like the one in the U-2S by making the background tan. As is now, it looks very much like the X-Plane default without really needing to. But I understand the decision not to; If you don't have accurate information it's probably better to wait until you have it and spend effort on those elements you can make prototypical. 

No comments:

Post a Comment