2011-07-22

AMX - a quick view

This is a fun aircraft!
The AMX is also clearly worth its price. (You can't say that for every payware aircraft released in the last year.)

It's got somewhat advanced systems, but it's not terribly complicated to fly and operate anyway (I managed after only reading the Italian manual and I don't speak Italian at all). Haven't tried air refuelling or the arresting system yet, though.

The exterior is highly detailed, but that's not what this aircraft is mainly about, it's about its systems, so the cockpit is much more interesting.
Comparing with photos of the real aircraft's cockpit, it looks very much the same, but with a few differences. I don't know if that's because it's an aircraft type which has been in existance for almost 30 years and changed a bit or if it's an adaption to make things work better in X-Plane. In any case it's not anything which disturbs me and in line with how a cockpit in this type of aircraft could reasonably be configured.
Here a cockpit overview and showing different HUD de-clutter levels.

Now that I've also read the English manual I can say that it's clearly written and very well explains how to use the aircraft. (But at the moment it's still not included in the package, you have to download it separately.)

There are a few things which, at first, confused me. For example, my assigned buttons for beacon and navigation lights works as expected, but the landing and taxi light buttons don't. How come? Well, the real aircraft has a single switch for taxi and landing lights, meaning it's either off or one of the lights, not both simultaneously as otherwise possible in X-Plane, so of course the AMX's custom systems have to take over control. Besides, they're also tied in to landing gear, so it's not really a problem flying with landing lights "on" at all times.
This was typical for everything I've noticed so far; There is a good reason for everything. I like that very much indeed because it gives me confidence in that everything else is made as it is for good reasons.

Only thing I'm not 100% satisfied with is the visual quality of the HUD. This possibly has to do with me using a resolution of 3840x1024 (the cockpit screenshot was only 2048 wide before resizing) and a wide field of view. I have no problem reading the information but different elements have different sharpness/brightness.

There are a few things I don't understand, like how what works as a master arm switch is labeled "late arm"; I know what late arm is (munitions arming close to the target instead of after a certain separation from the launcher) and can't figure out why you'd want to turn it off. But the switch in the real cockpit is labeled thusly, so this is correct. I'm also surprised by the wing span switch; Shouldn't the range finder be placed over the pipper and also have a closing speed fast/slow switch? If it had been a Swedish fighter it would have, but the real AMX doesn't seem to have.
Conclusion: If it doesn't work as you expect, it's probably because the AMX doesn't.

One of my better inititial bombing runs.
Yes, you can see where the bombs have hit!

It's wonderful to be able to input an attack mission in the FMS, fly it and see the results.

I can after only a little use strongly recommend this aircraft to anyone interested in modern military aviation. Both to those who know how aircraft of this general type operates and those who want to learn.

And again: This one is, without doubt, worth it's price.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for taking the time to criticize this aircraft, I will not write any opinion of mine of course, beeing involved in the project, but I just want to say you found out the guide line of this project: making things as real as possible, every thing has a reason why. There are many things people don't know about flying an aircraft, like checking your pockets are closed before entering the cockpit. We didn't implement that, so far, but maybe we will in the next release. The pourpose is to create the environment of a real flight wich begins with planning and ends with debriefing.

    Filippo.

    ReplyDelete