2011-06-02

Heinz's Boeing 787 - a quick view

I got this one after I got myself a triple screen setup, which made most aircraft with 2D cockpits a bit weird to fly. At that time, there weren't much to choose from if you wanted a modern airliner with a detailed 3D cockpit. (I didn't delete, but practically stopped flying, the QPAC A320 and the EADT x737 which were the modern airliners I flew then.) If you look at this image, you'll see what one of my main opinions about it are.
Yes: A lifting tail during much of the envelope, which I'm quite sure the real 787 doesn't have, even though it probably could, being a fly-by-wire aircraft.
My other main, negative, opinion about it is that it doesn't fly like it's fly-by-wire. What this means is that it's a generic airliner looking like a Boeing 787.
Partially, I fixed it by giving it artificial stability in Planemaker. But it still needs lots of trim to be manageable.

It does have good points. As it doesn't try to be a systems simulator, it's easy to fly and operate and the cockpit clear and easy to find controls in. Nor does it seem to require a lot of power from my computer.
And of course it looks very good.
It fulfilled its purpose for me, so I've been satisfied with it, because apart from the suspiciosly lifting tail it didn't promise to be anything but what it is.

But would I choose or recommend it today? Not really, and this image is from what's probably it's retirement flight for me. (I try to keep it at 11 or less aircraft I have "active", apart from the ones I've made myself.)
Instead, I suggest you take a look at Riviere's A300 or A310. Not as detailed cockpit, but as it's not a FBW aircraft (in spite of being an Airbus) handling feels appropriate. Or, if you are OK with payware, have a powerful computer and want FBW, the Sukhoj Superjet 100 seems to fit the bill.
And of course the A320 and 737 mentioned above which both are very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment